Friday, July 13, 2012

A very beautiful song

Although, sometimes Neil Young forgets the lyrics, that´s Pop Music turned into Fine Art. Absolutely, a gorgeous poem, a delicious song.




They were hiding behind hay bales, 
They were planting in the full moon 
They had given all they had for something new 
But the light of day was on them, 
They could see the thrashers coming 
And the water shone like diamonds in the dew.

And I was just getting up, hit the road before it's light 
Trying to catch an hour on the sun 
When I saw those thrashers rolling by, 
Looking more than two lanes wide 
I was feelin' like my day had just begun.

Where the eagle glides ascending 
There's an ancient river bending 
Down the timeless gorge of changes 
Where sleeplessness awaits 
I searched out my companions, 
Who were lost in crystal canyons 
When the aimless blade of science 
Slashed the pearly gates.

It was then I knew I'd had enough, 
Burned my credit card for fuel 
Headed out to where the pavement turns to sand 
With a one-way ticket to the land of truth 
And my suitcase in my hand 
How I lost my friends I still don't understand.

They had the best selection, 
They were poisoned with protection 
There was nothing that they needed, 
Nothing left to find 
They were lost in rock formations 
Or became park bench mutations 
On the sidewalks and in the stations 
They were waiting, waiting.

So I got bored and left them there, 
They were just deadweight to me 
Better down the road without that load 
Brings back the time when I was eight or nine 
I was watchin' my mama's T.V., 
It was that great Grand Canyon rescue episode.

Where the vulture glides descending 
On an asphalt highway bending 
Thru libraries and museums, galaxies and stars 
Down the windy halls of friendship 
To the rose clipped by the bullwhip 
The motel of lost companions 
Waits with heated pool and bar.

But me I'm not stopping there, 
Got my own row left to hoe 
Just another line in the field of time 
When the thrashers comes, I'll be stuck in the sun 
Like the dinosaurs in shrines 
But I'll know the time has come 
To give what's mine

2 comments:

  1. THE FIRST TIME NEIL YOUNG SINGING THIS SONG IN THE TOUR OF "RUST NEVER SLEEPS" (ONE OF THE FIRST WORKS OF CONCEPTUAL ROCK) MR. YOUNG MISS THE POINT FOR A FEW SECONDS AND START AGAIN. ONE OF THE MOST TENDER MOMENTS IN THE HISTORY OF POPULAR MUSIC. IN ADDITION, MR. YOUNG HAS A SMILE THAT STEAL MY HEART.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for this amazing lesson of Music History. Always interesting.

      Delete